Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Monday, March 18, 2013

The sign said Free Kittens

It's the sign you never want to see, the bane of every cat rescuer: Free kittens, please knock.  I walked up to door where the hand scrawled sign was, and based on the appearance of the place, wished I had told somebody where I was going.  I took a deep breath and knocked.  A woman in a tank top and pyjama pants surrounded by children answered the door and when I asked about the kittens brought them into the entryway to show me.  No questions asked, she was just ready to hand them over.
I explained I did cat rescue and would take all six and find them good homes.  Thankfully they were all cute and friendly.  Of course no way was I going to walk away without finding out about the mom.  Turns out there are two females and a male in the house and the other female had kittens a week ago.

Inner sigh, but I said I would help and take the male this week to be neutered as a start and would take the other kittens as soon as they were old enough.  Then we will figure out the females, deja vu from the other day.  These situations must be everywhere, and there is no easy way to solve them.  I just try to take it one at a time and do what I can.

At least this bunch will all get spayed and neutered before they go to homes.  So adorable!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my God, Robin. You rock! Just think of all the kittens that might have been born to this lot. Hugs, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Oh My God' was my immediate reaction too!! You've got amazing courage to walk up to someone's door and take on six kittens, and the adult cats too. Are the people going to help at all with the costs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will see if they will step up financially but I can't just take the kittens and not stop the cycle. What she didn't tell me is that the kittens aren't really litter trained, poor Lynn who has been fostering them is struggling with that, and oh yeah, there is an older kitten too her mother was going to take. She must be so happy I knocked on her door last Friday.

    ReplyDelete